February 18, 2010

Sylvia Plath, Aldous Huxley, and Freddie Mercury

My reading goal this week was to read two relatively short books. The first was Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. I enjoyed it well enough. I can see its significance but didn't find myself ripping through the pages worried about what would become of the narrator. I did very much love the similes she used throughout. It was charged with a lot of breakthroughs for its time period, with raw descriptions of depression and sexual revolution and the true meaning of asylum. I would personally give it a "C," though I think it important for every generation to read to understand how far we've come and how much farther we need to go as far as understanding our own psychologies.

The second book was Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. It's been a long time since I've had to abandon a book. I just cannot read this. I have never been the biggest fan of science fiction, especially that which depicts an elitist future. I think it's that I get too angry and I don't want to spend the whole of a book being too angry. A professor gave me Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale for my birthday one year and I tried to read it but had to stop. It's on my list of books to read this year, but I'm dreading it.

Right now I'm watching live concerts of Queen on Youtube. Freddie Mercury was the greatest performer. I really do wish at times I was a gay man. I found myself singing along with crowd - Freddie Mercury always used to lead the crowd in doing some trilling and the crowd would try to mimic him as closely as possible. I had to participate. Long live Freddie.

2 comments:

  1. How are we even friends?! Brave New World is one of my favorites!! Meanwhile, despite several attempts, The Bell Jar remains unfinished because it is boring the crap out of me. And, I'm trying to read The Picture of Dorian Gray because you told me it was one of your faves and I have to FORCE myself to read it because it's gotta get good at some point, right?!

    Clearly my addiction to trashy romance novels has prepared me for Huxley, but I'm not quite up to appreciating Oscar Wilde.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are yin and yang, baby. And I might have to say that if you haven't enjoyed Wilde yet you probably won't and you may have to abandon. It's so funny, because even though I was semi-bored with Plath I never wanted to peel my skin off as I read it like I do with Huxley.

    I think we just have hilariously separate tastes. Except, or course, Garth. The great redeemer.

    ReplyDelete